When a family member moves to an assisted living community, helping their loved ones make the most of their visits is a goal at the new East Ridge at Cutler Bay’s Three Palms Health Center.
Executive Director of Assisted Living Luz Baez offers the following tips for families visiting residents in assisted living at Palm Court located within Three Palms.
- To help get acclimated to a new environment, we invite future residents come to Three Palms and participate in several activities. They always can stay for lunch. They’ll be more comfortable because the surroundings are more familiar with this type of transition.
- An adult child or a spouse may want to stay with their loved one for a couple of days. This helps our newest resident not feel alone and less confused by the new surroundings.
- Bring things are being familiar with such as a lounge chair, family pictures, favorite foods and snacks and even a coffee mug.
- Rather than overwhelm someone with large groups of visitors, limit the number of visitors at any one time but encourage visits by family members and friends.
- Keep conversations simple and don’t burden the family member with negative issues.
- Focus on positives and what residents can do.
- If there are some dementia issues, remind family members to introduce themselves by telling mom or dad who you are without having them struggle to remember your face.
- It’s okay to bring children and Three Palms encourages and welcomes children. They are always welcome to join in activities too. They may enjoy a craft class or playing games.
- If mom and dad are safe going outside, the beautiful outdoor areas at East Ridge are perfect spots to walk or enjoy a picnic as are the internal garden areas within Three Palms.
- Bring the family pet and enjoy the East Ridge Bark Park with a resident.
- Similarly, don’t forget the East Ridge heated swimming pool. It’s a lovely spot to relax even if you don’t swim.
These are just a few tips to help your loved one transition to living at Three Palms. Luz and all the members of the Three Palms and East Ridge team always are available to be of assistance.
Three Palms at East Ridge offers assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing and rehabilitation accommodations and services. To schedule a visit and tour, please call 305-256-3564.