August is National Health Awareness Month and a perfect time to find a fitness routine that suits you. Each person is unique and their workout should be too.
At East Ridge at Cutler Bay, the life plan community offering independent living and the new Three Palms Health Center with assisted living, memory support and skilled nursing care, health awareness is a vital part of residents’ lifestyle.
Residents can take advantage of health assessments at the East Ridge Wellness Center which helps residents find their potential. These complimentary assessments determine their fitness strengths while discovering what areas they to improve.
East Ridge offers the “Smart Moves” program to help older adult improve and maintain their health while working towards their maximum potential. Each month there are health screenings available too for residents’ convenience.
Here are some tips from the East Ridge “Smart Moves” program to find a fitness routine that suits you:
- Check with your doctor before beginning a fitness routine especially if you have any injuries or medical conditions.
- When starting a new exercise program, it’s important to take your time and start slow and work up to longer workouts.
- Focus on gait and balance activities which can reduce falls by at least 40%.
- Weight-bearing and resistance activities can help prevent osteoporosis.
- Strength training can improve sleep quality, depression and quality of life.
- Remember to warm up and cool down with stretching and slower walking.
- Change a routine and try new things. An exercise class may add an interesting alternative such as water aerobics or Zumba.
- Cross train and exercise different muscles. You can avoid injuries by not overusing one muscle or joint.
- Ask for help. East Ridge offers a Wellness Coordinator, Suzana Delgado, for their residents but many gyms have exercise professionals too that can demonstrate fitness equipment and customize a routine.
To sample the East Ridge at Cutler Bay lifestyle, please call for a personal tour at (305) 256-3564.