The month of September has been designated as “Healthy Aging Month” and many of the tips you can apply to your life are found in the lifestyle of East Ridge. Life plan communities offer many benefits that contribute to residents’ wellbeing.
Here are some tips offered by Healthy Aging Magazine®:
- Think positive about your age. Picture yourself at the age you thought was your best and visualize yourself at this age. Positive visualization will help you feel better about yourself.
- Be positive in conversations and actions. When you catch yourself complaining, change the conversation to something positive. Surround yourself with positives and stop watching or reading police and crime reports.
- Surround yourself with energetic, happy positive people and you’ll be happier too. Smile often because smiles are contagious. The many volunteer opportunities at East Ridge offer so many ways to be active and engaged and these things all seem to contribute to the positive outlook our residents seem to have. Volunteers at the community’s thrift store work diligently each week preparing merchandise to be sold as do the volunteers in the community’s greenhouse. Residents seem to thrive working there and are energized from the days that these shops are open to the public.
- Walk like a vibrant, healthy person. The East Ridge fitness and wellness coordinator, Suzane Delgado, works with many residents to build their confidence walking. It may start with something as simple as wearing comfortable shoes. The meandering walkways around East Ridge are filled with residents who choose walking over using their golf carts for this great exercise.
- Remember how your mother was always reminding you to stand up straight. Regardless of your age, this tip still is of value. Hold your stomach in, your shoulders back and chin up. If you practice this tip every day, it becomes more natural.
- Research shows that people who smile more often are happier. Good oral health is a gateway to overall well-being. Going to the dentist regularly is important. Smiling at people gets a smile in return.
- Lonely? One of the many benefits living in a life plan community like East Ridge is the opportunity to socialize with other people. You don’t have to expend much energy to do one or more of the following which helps people become more socially engaged. From volunteering, taking a class, meeting someone for lunch, brunch, dinner or coffee to taking a computer class or a tutorial session to keep up with technology, living at East Ridge makes these things easy.
- Start walking not only for your health but to see your neighbors. Have a dog? Dogs are magnets for conversation starters.
- September is a good time to set up annual physical and other health screenings. East Ridge offers health screenings right at the community for the convenience of residents.
- Find your inner artist. You may have an artist lurking inside waiting to be tapped. East Ridge offers art therapy on Mondays and a creative craft group meets at the craft studio at the Lifestyle Center. There is a chorus and ceramics too.
These are just a few tips for Health Aging. Another one is to learn about retirement options. East Ridge offers monthly “Lunch & Learn” events as well as has “Open Houses”. To learn when the next event will be held, please call 305-256-3564 for information.